Off: Steve Vai/Stand Corrected

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Thu Nov 23 12:25:00 EST 1995

Thanks for clearing that up for me Theo.  Yeah it wasn't Poison but
Whitesnake I was thinking of.  I think your points are valid, when I
mentioned would this guy be able to replace Buck I was  thinking strictly
skills and not personalities or egos.  Sometimes a wild card will change if
associated with people who are professional and take their responsibilities
seriously.  As an example I read whereTed Nugent said he really enjoyed his
collaboration with Jack Blades and Tommy Shaw (Damn Yankees) as they helped
him to mature and take his work more seriously.

AB

AB,
Vai never played in Poison, though a couple of other young buck
shredders did.  Richie Kotzen was first, he got kicked out for being
caught by the singer banging the singer's old lady!  Then Blues
Saraceno got the job.  Maybe he's gay?

Actually, I'm the one that started the pounding Vai thing.  I never
said he wasn't a good gtrst.  I said he was all wrong for BOC.  I
said, and still say, that he's a gymnast, not a gtrst.  He can play a
million notes a second--so what?  What good are all those notes if
there isn't any tastefulness to go along with them?  Anyway, some of
Vai's gigs to date:
David Lee Roth
'Crossroads' film soundtrack, and guest appearance in the flick
(hate to say so, but he was good)
Frank Zappa --his first important gig, actually
Whitesnake (are we seeing a trend/pattern here?)
Ozzy Osborne--worked on the new album, but isn't credited, though he
has writing credit for one song.  Replaced by Zakk Wylde for the
album, Zakk's been sacked for Joe Holmes.
Actually, Vai's last album wasn't all that bad, all things considered.
theo