Mid-tone madness

Chris Bates CBates at CICERO.SHU.AC.UK
Wed Nov 22 16:04:35 EST 1995

Carl Said:
>        Well, actually I was making weird comparison of space/gutter
> vs. guitar tones with the emphasis likewise on high/low ... (guitar
> tones without any midrange appearing to have become a defining feature
> of heavy rock at some point).

I think that it's because they cut through so well. Jerry Garcia (OK not
heavy
a rock player) once said that the best thing about the guitar was that
the
sound is right in the frequencies that the human ear wants to listen to.
As for
scooping, well it removes those tones which are commonly used by
keyboard players, singers, drummers etc. so it makes the guitar much
easier to hear.

Chris