1980 tour

Martyn Lawrence martynl at FUJITSU.COM.AU
Thu Nov 23 12:29:30 EST 1995

 Hi Mike

 > JIll and I were discussing this over a pint or five last night. I'd
 > noticed that on my Preston 1980 tape, Moorcock recites "Warriors on the
 > Edge" to the tune of "Spirit of the Age". Weird but very effective.
 >
 > Anyway, the synth still sounds like it's Blake playing, but Jill claimed
 > from Bernhard's work, that he'd left by then. Yet strangely my tape of
 > Guildford on 31/10/80 which was after Preston, has "Waiting for Nati"
 > and "Lighthouse" on it.

 Im pretty sure Blake was still with them at Preston.

 > Does anyone have any details of the Blake/Twink/Hale changes and does
 > anyone have tracklists for any of their tapes from the 1980 autumn UK
 > tour?

As far as I was aware Blake left the morning after the stoke gig,due to the
argument over his phone calls and not getting in the car to leave for the next
gig.A roadie called "twink" then took over for a few days ,until Keith Hale joined them ,I think both twink and Hale played one gig together(Newcastle) ?
I saw them play Portsmouth guidhall about a week later and was very surprised
to see a small keyboard setup,and when the band came on NO BLAKE.
The next day in Sounds(a now defunct music paper) there was a feature on the
Hawks with a stop press announcement that Blake had left.
The Guildford gig was about a week after the Portsmouth one ,and Hale definately
was with them ,but no Lighthouse or Nati.
The guildford tape doesn't have any blake tracks on it unfortunately.

Hale had improved a bit by the mini - december tour and I remember them playing Dangerous vision and Angels of Death for the first time then.Anyway hale left
with that drummer who wanted to sack Harvey.I went to Glastonbury in '81 and
he was still with the Drummers band,they were crap and kept Roy Harper waiting.
I was as surprised as most when I saw him with Toyah's band and that he wrote
itss a mysstery.

regards

Marty