Alien 4- Revisited

Duane Hoyt aa5287 at FREENET.LORAIN.OBERLIN.EDU
Thu Nov 23 10:52:59 EST 1995

>       Hawkwind-Alien 4- An Opinion
>
>            Well, I have now listened to the new HW several times. On a scale
>       of 1 (Yuri Gagarin) to 10 (Warriors/Palace Springs) I give it a 6. My
>       main complaint is the reliance on keyboard/synths as filler and
>       atmosphere as opposed to actually writing songs. On this lp, it seems
>       to be kind of a theme lp (Being abducted by and becoming an Alien and
>       losing one's MIND???), but in the first 30 minutes there is only two
>       guitar/rock songs; Alien and Xenomorph. Ok it picks up a bit at the
>       end of Beam me Up.  Sputnick Stan is just a plain great song. I do
>       prefer Allan's vocals to Ron's though. Kapal is a very cool
>       instumental, probably my favorite on the lp. After that there are the
>       retreads of Death Trap and Wastelands, which are ok. The Lp closes
>       with Are you Losing your Mind?
>
>            Well, I am curious what others in the US think now. Still better
>       than a lot of music out there, but not up to what I think these guys
>       can do. They need Carl to join their band and give a kick.......
>
>       Scott

I have also just picked up a import cd of this, and immediatly played
it a couple times. Previously I had posted that I rather liked Ron's
vocals, based on only hearing the EP. The songs selected for the EP
are very good, and utilize Ron's vocal style well.  As far as the rest
of the CD, Alien 4, I must now join the others who critisized Ron's
vocals.  There are some songs here that would have been very good songs,
but Ron's vocals have made it so I don't think I want to here these songs
ever again. HE SUCKS, ALOT!
There are some very excellent songs on this, but not enough of them to
make this as listenable as ET, or HotMG, or most any other HW cd.

Duane