Alien 4- Revisited

Duane Hoyt aa5287 at FREENET.LORAIN.OBERLIN.EDU
Fri Nov 24 06:16:39 EST 1995

>        I think "Beam Me Up" is the most hideous moment.  Actually, that
>entire track seems like a colossal balls-up, since it never really figures
>out what it's trying to do ... there are some quite good bits in it that
>sound nothing at some of the other (crap) bits.  And that hideous
>warbling from Ron, "Extraterrestrial ..... Supernatural!" or whatever
>does not bear thinking about.

You hit the nail on the head. This one is probably the worst track on the
cd.

>        Well, HotMG is about my favorite (along with _SR_ and _PS_) so
>clearly there can be scant comparison ... ;)  but I still think it stands
>up well with _ET_.  I think I like it better than most of _Space Bandits_
>(though "Out of the Shadows" *live* is easily the best Hawkwind song
>since I don't know when), and I definately like _A4_ better than
>_IITBOTFTBD_ (which I listened to once, maybe twice, and have hardly
>ever played again.
I must concur on your favorites, and I have not gotten IITBOTFTBD nor
will I after reading the bad reviews of it here. Musically A4 is better
than SB, but the vocals on SB is at least listenable.

>        The band likes Ron, so he's unlikely to go, but perhaps if his
>vocals can be reined in a bit we can expect more rock on future releases?
>This is, mind you, Carl being optimistic and defiantly taking a positive
>view amidst cries of "This sucks!" ;)  but at least the rock quotient is
>higher on _A4_ than _IITBOTFTBD_ ...
>        Hopefully these meandering instro tendancies can work themselves
>out in solo projects or further "Psychedelic Warriors" releases and not
>pollute potential space rock blanga-fests ....
>
>Cheers,
>Carl

I don't have a problem so much with Ron in the band as I do with the
fact that he hasn't found a proper fit for his voice within the music.
He shows some promise, and maybe with time these things will work
themselves out.
Anyone have any guesses as to the " mystery prize " mentioned in the
caption contest?
Duane