1980 lineup changes chat jealousy

Andrew Gilham emphyrio at CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK
Fri Nov 24 14:35:00 EST 1995

> I'm loving this discussion.  This is a battle of the HW experts in the
> long
> term memory arena (any interest in this as a purely psychological
> phenomenon, Dr. Bob?).  Unfortunately, I've not seen HW in 1980 nor
> have I
> ever heard  "Waiting for Nati" or "New Jerusalem" so you guys are
> killing me
> with jealousy.  Signed ticket stubs yet.  Damn, I'm not worthy.

Ha!  It was around 1980 that I started becoming more of an Inner City
Unit fan than a Hawkwind fan...

"New Jerusalem" is a side-of-an-LP synthesiser and vocal piece that
perhaps verges a bit close to the twee for my taste, but is ideal for
that once-every-few-years spiritual chill-out (i.e., "Brainstorm" it
ain't!)  Blake perfomed it on the '79 tour as a solo piece with lasers,
which was very effective.  I'd say definitely check out the _New
Jerusalem_ LP/CD if you liked "Lighthouse" off of _Live 1979_.

I don't have any signed ticket stubs, but you might enjoy my signed
set-list from ICU at the Elgin, Ladbroke Grove, mid-1980 (soon after
_Pass Out_ was issued), signed by Vermilion Sands and Nik Turner.
Vermilion (who was doing backup vocals) wrote "N.M.C.S.L.E" under her
name, and explained it as "New Motor Cycle Sluts, London, England" (like,
obvious, really).  Nik wrote under his name, "Vermilion's admirer".  That
was cool.

Mike Moorcock was there too, but I already had his autograph about a
hundred times so I didn't bother asking him. :)

- Andy