BOC: Kerrang Biog

ROBERT SEDLER robert.sedler at NOR.MKL.COM
Sat Nov 25 18:49:00 EST 1995

According to >>>BOC:Kerrang Biog (At last)<<<

>ST is also unusual for its lyrical contribution from NYC's priestess
>of punk poetry, Patti Smith. She contributed several lyrics to the
>album & could be seen around town in the arms of keyboard player
>Allen Lanier.

>From where I sit (and I'm glad I can indeed do that again, a few of
you know why) Patti Smith only contributed to Career of Evil. You make
it sound as if she wrote several songs on this lp for the band.

>CE, & FOUO continued to dissapoint,

As much as I like the mirrors album, it DID indeed disappoint many of
the hardcore fans, yet I've never met a BOC fan that was not
absolutely THRILLED with the return to the darker waters of BOC that
CE and FOUO gave us. Just WHO did these albums disappoint? The Band?
Al? My Born-Again ex-boss who used to pound the "evils" of BOC down my
throat? Certainly not old Torgo!

>It was not a comfortable time for the band. 1982's third live album
>ETL was a stodgy affair, featuring the bands drum roadie standing in
>for Bouchard!

I know we've been down this road before, but I still like ETL the best
of the live albums. And as much as we felt Al's presence missing from
the band, I think Downey did an outstanding job during his stay with
BOC. I've always had a soft spot for drummers who look as if they are
taking out frustrations on their drum kit, and Downey certainly didn't
hold back like some studio drummer just punching a timeclock and
merely "doing his job"! Much like another of my heavy hitting skin
bashing favorites, Cozy Powell, Downey is a fantastic, powerful, and
thoroughly entertaining drummer.

>Eventually it transpired that it was originall recorded as a solo
>album by Al Bouchard, but partially re-recorded by the band &
>released under the name of BOC.

This is a good example of how sometimes we can know too much about the
ones we love. Until I joined the BOC-L, I never even considered that
Imaginos was not a full member effort from BOC. Sure it sounded
different from much of the other stuff, but BOC's sound, although
always remaining true to the BOC style (Yes, even mirrors and Ninja),
was constantly evolving and taking on new faces. The album, for me
personally, IS a full-fledged BOC release and always will be. As much
as I agree that Al really worked the magic on this album, there is no
denying the presence of Bloom, Dharma and company. I mean, there are 5
out of 5 original members on this album, yet it's a solo release? If
that's the case, then how can Tony Iommi (that spelled right) release
Black Sabbath albums with 1 original member, yet Imaginos is regarded
as a solo effort with every original member's name appearing on the
album?

It all boggles Torgo's mind.

T-O-R-G-O and TORGO was his name-o
robert.sedler at nor.mkl.com

Oh yeah, hey Dr. Bob, notice I never said "IMHO" or "Don't flame me
please"? Torgo has taken your advice, like everyone, IMHO, should.
ooops Damn! I blew it! :^{> <-- Torgo (with evil "Spock" goatee!)