BOC: Kerrang Biog

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Tue Nov 28 06:03:03 EST 1995

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995 DFrost8547 at AOL.COM wrote:

> Torgo-
> You can think what you want to think, but the reality of Imaginos is that it
> was Albert's solo album, begun in 1982. [....rest deleted for brevity...]

Whilst agreeing in essence with Deborah, there's still quite a strong BOC
feel to the album. Hardly surprising as some of the material goes back
way beyond 1982, and some of it appeared in different versions on Secret
Treaties (I believe Gil Blanco County, not finally released on Imaginos,
was on the Stalk Forrest Group album?). Together with the voices of Buck
and Eric, and with even Robbie Krieger's guitar solo in the style of
Buck, it's hard not to think "BOC" when one hears the album. However,
clearly Albert was the prime mover behind this project and from what I
recall of the previous discussions it was largely Sandy and the record
company that were responsible for Eric & Buck and others being added.

I do think that the vocal contributions made by Eric and Buck were quite
substantial, ie. in terms of quality, with Del Rio's song and Magna of
Illusion their respective high points.  However, I'd like to add that
it's a crying shame that the two tracks on which Albert's original vocals
were superb, "Gil Blanco County" and "The Girl that Love Made
Blind", are unreleased. The latter in particular is a beautiful song.
In most respects I think the final version of Imaginos worked out pretty
well; the only real quibble I have is Jon Rogers' vocal on Imaginos and
the fact that the guitar orchestra on that track drowns out some
beautiful sax playing.

Dave Hardman