BOC??: Strats rewl! - with a twist

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Tue Nov 28 22:59:30 EST 1995

Rudich, Robert A writes:

> the local soft rock stations have him as a staple.  Jimi was winding down
> before he died too.

Personally, I think Jimi was gearing up before he died.  It was
already clear that his compositions and playing had expanded to a
point where the three piece Experience was becoming too limiting a
vehicle for him (especially live, where he was having to double many
of the parts, and then some...).

Jimi was also moving into jazz territory, a relatively unknown realm
for him.  I think he would have been a great jazz guitarist were he
alive today; he had such a flair for jamming.

Hendrix's life was always a struggle to reproduce in the physical
world the sounds he could hear and "see" in his head.  He was
continually limited by the available technology, something he found
very frustrating.  If he were still alive, I'm sure he'd be producing
even more amazing sounds, given the advances in music technology
today.

So, IMHO, as Dr. Bob would say, I think Jimi was far from burned out
when he died.  The best was yet to come...

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: The Allman Brothers Band, _Brothers and Sisters_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.