No coffee in a few days

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Wed Nov 29 11:39:46 EST 1995

On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, Ted O. Jackson wrote:

> > Jason
> >
> > ObBOC: One thing I've always liked about Buck's guitar work is that it that,
> > like Blackmore, he doesn't just play pentatonic inspired guitar runs (like I
> > do). Blackmore is very classically inspired. Buck seems fairly jazz inspired.
> > --
> >        Jason O'Broin - Development Engineer, ATM Adapter Group
> Jason,
> It is tough to break out of the 'blues box,' isn't it.  I think Buck
> uses a lot of Dorian modes, though I wouldn't really know music
> theory from a bale of hay.  Actually, he does use a lot of
> pentatonics, but he breaks them apart, modally.  Also, he relies upon
> a lot of passing tones, so it changes the emphasis, and makes his
> licks sound less pentatonic.  RB is very classical sounding, a la
> Schenker, both of whom, regretably, inspired the likes of Yngwie et
> al.
> theo

One of the things that impresses me most about Buck's live playing is
that on some songs the solos seem to be very spontaneous -- though I
guess it's possible he actually rehearses different solos (unlikely I'd
have thought). Obviously, this spontanaiety pays off better on some
occassions than others, but it's always makes for interesting listening
and can occassionally be positively sublime. For anyone who hasn't yet
heard BOC live, check out the different versions of Buck's
Boogie on "Fantasy Distillations", "OYFOOTYK", "Cult Classics", "WoTT".
  On the other hand, someone like Michael Schenker -- whose playing I do
very much like -- usually seems to concentrate on reproducing the same
solos on each occassion. I don't know about Blackmore.
  I also agree with the comment about Buck having a jazzy style. In fact,
some of the pre-BOC material (thanks Bolle) features extended solos which
are remarkable for their fluidity and jazzy style. Probably the jazziest
solos on studio BOC albums are "Tenderloin" and "Moon Crazy" (which, as
mentioned earlier, does include a specific jazz reference).

Dave