Off Topic: Beatles new singles

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Wed Nov 29 14:41:24 EST 1995

>         Well, I thought I'd throw in an opinion on the new Beatles stuff.
> I'm a big Beatles fan but I think the new stuff is horrible! A couple of
> people have said it reminded them of late Beatles but to me it sounds exactly
> like what it is: Late 70's Lennon solo stuff with a little touch up to make
> it a "Beatles" effort. Does anyone know the level of effort put in by
> the other Beatles? One song sounded like it had a Harrison solo, and the other
> definately sounded like Ringo's drums, but overall it seems like they are
> just adding to (nearly) completed tracks. I was pretty disappointed.

Yeah - I think all the existing Beatles have had a hand in this.
>From what I recall everyone contributed to a pre-existing set of tapes
and there has been a fair amount of computer/technical fiddling to make
everything fit together.

I grew to like them as their music got increasingly wierd.  Record Collector
this month had a current values listing of original albums with their
labels and inserts.   I was fascinated to see that although I appear to
have several of the relevant inserts the label colours suggest re-issues.
This is sortof a surprise after collecting Hawkwind for so long.    A
band with enough money to continue offering the special inserts even in
a re-issue format!

And, no, I'm not at all impressed by the dull dirge they've just passed
off as a new single.     So much for pre-Xmas entertainment.

jill

ob bizarre image: Yellow Submarine meets Imaginoes

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk