Multiple Topics & Stuff/ Robo's thoughts

Rob Maerz ROBODUDE at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 30 17:47:43 EST 1995

>Robo, how about discussions on AOL, do they tend to go off tangent?  Does
>Eyes post regulary or is he only involved in chats?  Are folks well behaved
>or do they toss down the mouse and go at it with the keyboards?  Are
>opinions expressed or depressed by demcratic majority?  I too would not want
>to see John of all people leave over this subject, but if anything BOC-L is
>porbably one of the more tolerant lists out there today.

well, IMHO ( : P ), AOL is a good source of BOC info (since the tour dates,
T-shirt info etc etc)...yes, at times it does go off-topic...sometimes there
are postings on sports, the Beatles etc etc...and there are people there that
complain from time to time about off-topic posts...

it is different on a BB...you can do what I do and preview the subject lines
of the notes and only read what may be appealing...if there isn't anything
interesting, I simply don't read it and keep my mouth shut...

there is a case where a heavy volume of off-topic posts can deter people from
joining the forum....one time I went to visit the U2 Board on Prodigy and
there was post after post after post of Sally's gallstone operation...it
certainly deterred me from posting anything...this is the sort of problem we
are having on the Prodigy BB...the subject is called Blue Oyster Cult, but
most of the talk is about Classic Rock nowadays...this could also be in part
because Prodigy is such a shitty service nowadays and we don't have that many
people there anymore like we did 9 months ago...

I just read a post on here about too many off-topic posts...off-topic can
also be classified on here as "other"...if you don't wish to receive "other",
then turn it off so you don't receive those posts...I hardly have seen
postings about Berthas cookie recipes goin' around...much of the talk has
been about Strats and guitarists, which is off-topic but music related...

then there is the issue of multiple topic posts...personally, it doesn't bug
me...before we had the issue of list volume and try to refrain from posting
more than 5 messages a day...would this be a way of stretching the quota?  I
have been well over my quota over the past week or so...but there's so much
to talk about lately...

I think we can begin to resolve this issue by remembering to insert the
correct prefixes in the subject line as well as the correct topic being
discussed, and use the filters that are supposed to work with the list...if
you don't want off-topic posts, than turn them off instead of complaining
about it...

now, back to your AOL Qs:

Eric posts both to the bb as well as participating in the online chats...I
think sometimes people refrain from expressing their honest opinion on the
AOL bb because of it...hey, if I think Club Ninja sucks, I say so...there
seldom is any personal attacks on the AOL bb, but when there is, it's usually
because of BadOysters : }, a squirrelly teenage fan from New Orleans...

>ROBO
>>
>>-Dr. Bob (There are 2 kinds of sports--MOTORsports and minor sports)
>>rkohl at state.de.us
>
>>Jimmy Spencer!!!  (I used to be a Davey Allison fan...)
>
>Why used to be?
>
>Damn thats a lot of ? marks for one post.

I guess I could say I still am...but, Davey died in a helicopter crash
several years ago...NASCAR lost one of the finest racers, and as a person he
represented the sport well...

ROBO