BOC: WOTT mish mosh, remastering..

Bryan Irby irby at HERA.ASTR.UA.EDU
Mon Oct 2 14:51:00 EDT 1995

>         The first four (from BOC) to me sound better than the vinyl. Whoever
> said "no remastering" must be mixed up. In order to get these songs on this CD

Okay, well, I think I chose poorly my words about no remastering.  What I
was lamenting was the fact that the BOC discs (WOTT or otherwise) have not
been redone in the same way that Columbia has remastered all of the Aerosmith
catalog.  This process has also been done for Yes, the Rolling Stones, Led
Zeppelin, among others.  I believe Bolle mentioned this 20-bit mastering
technique in his review of WOTT recently.  I'm not sure about the sampling
rates for all of the Yes/Stones/Zeppelin/etc stuff, but as I understand it,
the higher the sampling rate (20 bit being on the high end of things these
days?) the closer digital comes to sounding like analog.  And to my ear,
the improvements made with the remastered Aerosmith are more significant
than the improvements made from the early BOC to the WOTT versions.

So I was just trying to say that the BOC catalog deserves the same treatment
Aerosmith got in terms of the more rigorous, top of the line remastering,
not to mention the repackaging with original graphics/notes/etc.
Mirrors & RBN were very sorry reissues along these lines.

-Bryan