HW -- Area S4

John.Cartledge cs0jca at ISIS.SUNDERLAND.AC.UK
Wed Oct 4 10:18:42 EDT 1995

Well, I've finally got my grubby paws on the Area S4 single after hassling my
local record store for eons.

First impressions :

Alien (I Am) -- excellent track. Good to hear a 'proper' new Hawkwind track ie
riffs and DB vocals.
The only criticism I have is that the mix is fairly muddy. DB's vocals are
somewhat lost.

Sputnik Stan -- I think this will grow on me. Some nice bass from AD. Definite
encore material.

Death Trap -- More or less straight cover of original. RT's vocals not too bad.

Wastelands -- One of my favourite mellow HW numbers. This is too short though.

Am I Losing My Mind? -- The jury is out on this one.

Speaking of which. I saw a snippet in Q magazine, talking about a new satellite
program starting later this month. Can't remember the title, but it's about a
man who had a silicon chip implanted in his brain as a baby, in order to let the
FBI conduct experiments in human control etc. The programme was originally on
MTV I think. Maybe that's where the idea for the track came from?

Also saw an advert for HW in NME today. A bit follows on from what Jill was
saying, ie Ande Garibaldi moving to Dundee where he will be in charge of all
rare/import HW stuff. There is a contact address in the article, or I will post
it if anyone wants it.

                John