HW: Review - Hawkwind "Live '79"

Paul G Ward sonique at AARDVARK.APANA.ORG.AU
Thu Oct 5 00:09:34 EDT 1995

                      Record Review: Hawkwind 'Live 79'
                      ---------------------------------

Disclaimer: I've done this a few times now, but I still have *NO* literary
            talent whatsoever! In fact it's getting harder as I go :-(
            My humble opinion is mine, and no-one elses! I do know what I
            like though, and that means HAWKWIND!

            Any reference to record labels & catalog numbers reflects what
            my copy is, and is not necessarily the only (or original)
            release.

Artist/s:       Hawkwind
Title:          Live '79
Label/Cat#:     Bronze L 37425
1st Release:    1980
Lineup:         Dave Brock, Simon King, Harvey Bainbridge, Huw Lloyd Langton,
                plus Tim Blake (Crystal Machine)

Recorded Live during their 1979 Winter Tour of UK (apparantley at St. Albans),
this album is definitely in the 'Top 10' Hawkwind releases of all time. As
shown on the live photo on the rear cover, this tour included Hawkwind's first
use of Lasers in their light show, and according to those who were there,
completely blew everyone away.

The album opens with the Swindells track "Shot Down in the Night", introducing
the listener to Hawkwind's current live style - the sounds of a cheering crowd
over the warbles of Blake's synthesizer as the drums and guitar come in with a
vengeance. The lack of Calvert vocals in the current Hawkwind lineup are
evident, but Brock rises to the task admirably as the 'new' front man. The
second track is another 'to be classic' Hawkwind track, "Motorway City" (a
studio version was released on the subsequent album, 'Levitation'). This is
much slower than the opening piece, but is still very powerful. The gentle
keyboard introduction is soon joined by very a catchy rythym guitar melody,
interspersed with solid drum work and strong 'passionate' vocals. Blake's
synthesizer prowess shines throughout - it's a shame that he didn't stay with
the band. The fading strains of this track are overlaid with a rather
futuristic sounding version of "Spirit of the Age". Once again, Blake's
fingerwork is predominant. This version sees the pace pick up as the chorus is
sung, the synthesizers being joined with more bass, guitar and drumwork,
dropping back in volume again for the next verse. An excellent representation
of this wonderful track.

Side Two opens with "Brainstorm", one of the classic Hawkwind tracks from
their early years. While a lot of fans prefer the original versions (from
'Doremi' and 'Space Ritual'), I personally feel that this 'Turnerless' version
is up to par. It is no better or worse - just different. The style fits in
well with the rest of this record, and it is still 9 minutes of fast, powerful
space rock, and has all the punch of the original. "Lighthouse" really shines
(excuse the pun). Penned by Tim Blake, it starts of with synthesizer effects
obviously designed to give one the impression of deep space. A deep electronic
throb soon comes in, along with 'Star Trek'-ish spoken word. The track is
about a 'Lighthouse Star', which is used as a beacon for interstellar travel.
As it ends the crowd ROARS to the opening strains of "Master of the Universe".
I get a tingle right up my spine EVERY time I hear this track. Like
'Brainstorm', this version is slightly more modern sounding, but lacks
absolutely nothing in power, energy and raw Hawkwind!

For an encore, Brock asks the audience "Want do you want us to do then? " -
"Silver Machine" they cry! 'My mum's got a washing machine - don't know how it
works though! You gotta sing it with us, allright ?' And it begins .... and
really kicks butt ....... but EXPLODES halfway through the second verse! Why?
AARGGH! It sounded like the best version of this track ever (and according to
those present it was). Bastards!

This album has all the energy and the Hawkwind of old, but with a much tighter
and more modern sound, thanks to new synthesizer technology, and the lessons
learned under Calvert's guidance in the 'Charisma Years'. If you don't have
this release in your kollection, then you simply don't have a kollection!

--
Paul Ward        aka: Assassin Sonique'          .---.  __  .--------   Long
R & D Manager, P & C Micro's Pty Ltd            /     \( o`-,  -----   may