HW: Review - Hawkwind "Live '79"

Andrew Gilham emphyrio at CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK
Wed Oct 4 19:54:00 EDT 1995

Monsieur Paul a dit:

> As
> shown on the live photo on the rear cover, this tour included
> Hawkwind's first
> use of Lasers in their light show, and according to those who were
> there,
> completely blew everyone away.

I was there... they weren't as good as BOC's lasers the year before... :)

[Silver Machine]
> AARGGH! It sounded like the best version of this track ever (and
> according to
> those present it was). Bastards!

It wasn't half bad, and the segue into "Levitation" (which none of us had
heard before) was excellent.  However, speaking personally, I preferred
the "Silver Machine" on the two Hawklords gigs I saw - Cambridge because
Bob held the mike in my face for a chorus, and Hammersmith because Lemmy
(who'd been in the stalls with Eddie and Philthy!) climbed on stage and
took over the mike.  A hopelessly outclassed bouncer tried to stop him,
until Bob had a word in his shell-like.  - Andy

ObCD: Ramones - _Mania_ (compilation)