HW: Live and Good - my take

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Thu Oct 5 11:46:00 EDT 1995

AB, (with the "bogus" AB and the changing in between parts, I go nucking
futs knowing who is really who) I agree with Dave's assessment of the other
live recommendations with a caveat.

The Space Ritual, for early excellence.  Palace Springs for a more recent,
more polished, and excellent sound.  I really like California Brainstorm
from the same period, but other people aren't so keen (and the sound isn't
so good).  Live '79 for a metal(-ish) version of Hawkwind, plus Tim Blake's
excellent synth playing.   The Business Trip for what they sound like now --
more keyboard work, slightly less guitar.

Dave.
<<<<

The caveat is that I think that Live Chronicles is the apex of live HW.
 From what you mentioned about the ability of the music to evoke mental
images, no other live stuff has this effect on me.  That is not to say I
don't like the other albums or certain songs as much, but I don't like the
other live alums to anywhere near the same degree.  The Assassin Sonique
just posted an extremely accurate fan's review of Live '79.  I'll make a
recommendation that I did the last time with an added benefit.

Get the DOJO CD of the _Chronicles of the Black Sword_.  The studio versions
of the songs (and at least 1 not done live) are good in a studio way PLUS
there are 2 added LIVE tracks that are great.  I like these two live tracks
a lot - as much as anything anywhere else and these two live tracks appear
on no other US release.  I bought the CD just for these tracks because I
liked the "War I Survived" in the studio and wanted it live (already have
CotBS on vinyl.)  The other live song is a marked variation of a Live
Chronicles song (different name) that is worth it too.  I like Needle Gun a
lot and the studio version of that is different enough and well worth having
(maybe better too).  Hell, BOC could have done Needle Gun if HW didn't.   So
if you like Needle Gun......

The problem with many of the other live albums is that there is considerable
overlap.  If you don't like a particular song, you may have a chance to hate
it in many variations.  With apologies to other list members, all the other
live albums have their real clinkers (just my opinion).  This includes songs
that other members have spoken highly of.   Based on your level of HW
experience, I'll bet you won't like them for the same reasons that I have.
 They are what you'd expect and will put you to sleep if you don't like some
fine detail within the song (e.g., a guitar line)

BTW - You aren't the only one that needs that CD-I version of Live
Chronicles and it also has different songs from the CD.
   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Rudy the ferret mage
      \   \      (Ever watchful for Hawks from above & beyond)
      /\ * )  \