The list filters

Ben Cohen ben at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Thu Oct 5 22:17:36 EDT 1995

>I think perhaps some clarification (and a reminder) from our moderator
>on the list filters would be in order.  I have the following questions:

I'll do what I can to help.

>1.  Do the filter names need to be the first words in the subject header?
>For example, if I have a subject line like:  What is your favorite BOC
>song?  Will it be properly filtered, or do I need to put:  BOC - What is
>your favorite song?

Not only must it be the first word(s), but it must be separated by a ":"
from the rest of the subject. [Don't worry about the "Re:"s that get added
for replys; those are automatically ignored.]
   The correct format for your example would be:
        Subject: BOC: What is your favorite song?

>2.  Do the filters need to appear in capital letters?

No, although it does help them to stand out better.

>3.  A periodic reminder of the filters might be in order.  I believe
>they are BOC, HW, BRAIN, NIK

That's correct. You can always see the current topics by sending to
<listserv at listserv.spc.edu> with a message body text of:

        REVIEW BOC-L

>4.  What about the "Other" filter?  Can one select to remove "Other"
>messages, and if so, does this mean that all subjects that don't have
>a filter name in them will not get to someone who removes "Other"?

Yes.

>5.  Could the filters have multiple names?  For example, shouldn't the
>"BOC" filter work on messages with "BOC", "Blue Oyster Cult" (and maybe
>WOTT?  ;-) ) in them?  Or, for it to work, must we specifically put
>"BOC" in the subject line?

'Fraid not. Filters have to be a single word.
   YnSSHM,
   Ben