BOC: 25 Anniversary suggestion

Fri Oct 6 09:00:30 EDT 1995

As a diehard BOC fan, I like Jason's idea ALOT.  Also as a diehard fan,
I don't know that it's possible -- but if could happen, then I'd buy
every one of those new releases.  Just a few comments on Jason's
suggestions:

>1. Complete remastering of ALL the studio albums (except Imaginos - I
   don't think it needs it) with updated artwork and liner notes

Actually, *Imaginos* DOES need to be re-done -- not that the sound on it
is bad, but Al's original creation of *Imaginos* (including the songs left
off the disc - make it a double CD if you have to) is what needs to be
released -- let BOC fans hear the original creation of *Imaginos*  -- yeah,
I know - of all the suggestions, this one's probably the least likely to
happen.

>2. An 'early years' single CD. This would comprise all of the SFG stuff,
   any SU stuff that is hanging around, the 1972 bootleg, and if there
   is any space left, add any early demos/outtakes that are hanging
   around for the early years. It would be good to have this remastered

This might actually make a double CD - I'm not sure.  The SFG album is
around 20-30 minutes long, and the SWU demo is about the same.  Then add
the 4 songs on the '72 bootleg, and Bolle recently said that there's the
original BOC demo for Columbia (of which, only "Last Days of May" was
used from it) -- all of that will probably overflow a single CD.

>tely include the Imaginos A/Bs. Again, this should be
   a single CD. The singles output is probably greater than 80 mins, but
   with a bit of thought, the less important ones can be dropped.

Well, with all of the BOC compilations out there, actually quite a few
could probably be dropped -- even though it's their biggest hit, do we
need another CD with "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" on it?  Or "Godzilla", or
"Burnin' For You"?  Unless it's different from the original version (which
I realize the fact that many of the single versions of the songs have
the guitar solos removed), then why waste space on yet another disc?

>4. Dig out one or two of the best 'bootlegs', tidy them up and release
   them. Things like Nail You Down where good soundboard recordings
   exist.

Yeah, this is a good idea -- if they only were to do one, I'd suggest a
compilation of some of the best live recordings, and make it some kind
of rare stuff.  Some ideas might be "Born to Rock" (from Nail You Down),
"Wings of Mercury" (from Into the Crypts of Rays), "Heavy Metal: The Black
& Silver" (from The Thing).  How 'bout "Lips In The Hills", "It's Not
Easy", and "Arthur Comics" from the Old Waldorf show?  Maybe some old
stuff like "Wings Wetted Down" and "Mistress of the Salmon Salt" from
the Cleveland broadcast back in '73?  One of my old recordings from either
'72 or '73 has an interesting version of "Stairway to the Stars" and
"The Red & The Black" which are somewhat different than the way BOC has
played them for most of their careers.  I'd better stop now, or this
one's gonna turn into a double CD as well :-)

>5. ... and to tie it all together, a new BOC album

I hope I don't have to wait 2 more years before the next BOC studio
album comes out . . .

Good ideas Jason!

John