More Cheap Motorhead

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Mon Oct 9 12:12:00 EDT 1995

>Well, I don't know about "Hell On Earth", but if you don't like
>"Hellraiser", don't let it deter you from still checking out
>older MH. That cut is taken from "March Or Die", a kinda weak
>(imo) release of '92.

>Chuck

=======================================

Actually I liked Heallraiser a bit more than Hell On Earth.  Ozzy co-wrote
the song and while it smacks of death metal ( a form I can live without)
Lemmy's bass playing is terrific.  As a former bass palyer (never was very
good at it) I can appreciate talent and I think Lemmy is pretty full of
talent.  As luck would have it I stumbled across some more Lemmy for a
really decent price ($2.99) a tape from Caldor's its called the collector
series with the Motorhead title of Welcome to the Bear Trap.  Castle
Communications distributed the tape and qoutes other titles availbale in
this series from Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Hawkwind.  Play
list as follows:

Motorhead (Live)
Overkill
Talking Head
Rock It
Iron Fist
I got Mine
Steal Your Face
(We Are) The Road Crew
Snaggletooth
Stay Clean
Iron Horse (Live)
One Track Mind
Speedfreak
Loser
(Dopn't Nee) Religion
Stone Dead Forever
Sweet Revenge
Capricorn
Love Me Like A Reptile
Ace of Spades

I think this is more demonstrative of what Lemmy and Motorhead sound like.
  The slower songs appealed to me more. Still my overall impression is that
Lemmy has the talent to create far better music than this.  The tape
alternates between speed and death metal with some plain good rock and roll
in between.  Lemmy IMHO would be larger if he played a more mainstream brand
of rock & roll.  I hope I don't piss off any of MH's fans or fans of either
genere but thats just the way I feel about his music. Bottom line I like
Lemmy and Motorhead but not enough to go out and start building a
collection.

One final thought, on the live cuts I could not help but notice a strange
similarity between Lemmy and Doug Pinnick (bass player for King's X), Doug
has been known to favor the real heavy hitters and it appears to me that a
lot of Lemmy has rubbed off on Doug.  I'll have to ask the King's X list  if
anyone knows of any connection between the two.

5 in the Player recently

Stages (Live) - Triumph - (for positive inspiration)
Welcome to the Bear Trap - Motorhead (to get a real feel for the master of
four strings)
Bill & Ted II Soundtrack (Steve Vai and King's X make this a good one)
Mane Attraction - White Lion ( In the vein of Y&T)
Animal Insticnts - Gary Hoey (in anticipation of the new Hoey release 10/10)

A(the don't quit your day job reviewer)B