HW: Moi's review

cjohnson cjohnson at SUR1A.HPSC.HISD.HARRIS.COM
Mon Oct 9 19:11:58 EDT 1995

       ABrevard writes:

       >Really interested in hearing some of Nik Turner's sax work on cd's
       >just love a little sax with my music.

       Well, you might be disappointed listening to Nik's sax.  *IMO*, he
       does NOT know how to play the sax (but then, neither do I!)  If I
       remember correctly, the BOC-L consensus was that Nik's saxophone
       sounded like an "asthmatic waterfowl".   :-)

       However, Nik is a GREAT flute player.  He just didn't seem to play
       it as often as that damn sax.  You might try HW's "Warrior on the
       Edge of Time" as a great musical album, with some good flute from
       Nik and great electric violin from Simon House (a TRUE virtuoso).

       >Was Lemmy the original HW bass player?  Really confused about the
       >connection between him and HW if there really is a connection.

       There is def a connection.  Lemmy tore it up on several *early* HW
       albums, notably "Space Ritual Alive", "Doremi Fasol Latido", "In
       Search of Space", "Hall of the Mountain Grill", and the
       aforementioned "Warrior OTEOT".  Right after this period (1976?)
       was when Lemmy was canned from HW following a drug-related dispute
       with the Canadian customs officials.  Lemmy immediately formed his
       own band, named after the last (?) song he wrote with HW --
       MOTORHEAD!!  And that's where he's been, ever since...

       Captain Cloud