HW: Moi's review

Chris Baxley Chris_Baxley at SONYMUSIC.COM
Wed Oct 11 13:10:29 EDT 1995

> Well, you might be disappointed listening to Nik's sax.  *IMO*, he
   > does NOT know how to play the sax (but then, neither do I!)  If I
  >  remember correctly, the BOC-L consensus was that Nik's saxophone
  >  sounded like an "asthmatic waterfowl".   :-)

Yeah, well some of us LIKE the "asthmatic waterfowl" effect!
In fact, Nik's mutant sax playing is one of the rough edges I find sorely
lacking
in post-"Golden Era" Hawkwind (after '78 or so?).
There seems to be a trend (in almost any long-term band I can think of) to
focus
on refinement at the expense of inspiration.  The result is usually increased
sterility
and blandness of product.  In my opinion, competent musicianship can be pretty
boring and commonplace - gimme more chaff and less wheat, puh-lease!

If you want an example of some truly inspired (but "technically" awful) horn
wonkery,
check out Beefheart's classic Trout Mask Replica.

cheers
 - Chris

"I hate music!  It's got too many notes!"  - Replacements

Chris_Baxley at sonymusic.com