Niks sax in early HW (LONG) (was: HW: Moi's review)

Andrew Gilham emphyrio at CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK
Wed Oct 11 23:59:00 EDT 1995

Calvert and Brock were *both* reportedly anti-drugs-on-stage by the late
'70s.  Calvert in '78;  "I won't allow it, and nor will Dave, on the
grounds that it causes too much time-wasting and inferior work.  Drug
abuse may have characterised early line-ups - but it also characterised
early audiences.  It's rather different now; you can't stand there stoned
out of your brain, playing to a straight audience - and our audiences
cover quite an age-span."  [_Rock Family Trees_, Pete Frame]

By the late '70s, there wasn't much improv left, really - eg, they played
just about the exact same set for the whole '79 tour.  And these days,
it's all controlled by the tapes and midi.  (Not that that's necessarily
bad, it's just different.  Different from when Lemmy needed a roadie to
get him on his feet and point him in the right direction, that is...  :)

- Andy