HW: Trip Review & Inspiration vs. Perspiration

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Thu Oct 12 07:59:00 EDT 1995

I referred to the _Business Trip_ as Electric Teepee on the road because:
 1) I don't have _It is the Business..(ignorance angle), 2) The 3 man line
up and this style appeared on ET (a strained attempt to rationalize), 3) A
teepee is a fairly mobile home (a real reach), and 4) There are significant
songs from ET (he shoots, he scores).   I guess it was more metaphorical
inspiration instead of skilled review (asthmatic thinking).

This brings up my 2nd vague thought.  I don't disagree with Capt. Cloud
about the potential for interesting stuff to come out of chaotic jams or
enthusiastic (drug crazed) play.  The place where I veer off is that mastery
is not capable of this.  A lot of times people who have great technical
skill are considered "masters", but they are not.  They stick too closely to
the rules and are very predictable.  A true master knows the rules well
enough to realize when they can be broken for best effect (you should see me
drive).  I think Hawkwind has gone through all 3 phases.  The good old days
were the jams, then they mired down a bit in the technical skill era.
 However, I think that they gotten beyond that now.  Tapes and midis play
their part on stage, but they just paint a basic background.  The little
flourishes that are added live really make things interesting much as the
tiny thread is what makes a tapestry.
   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Rudy the ferret mage
      \   \      (Ever watchful for Hawks from above & beyond)
      /\ * )  \