HW: Trip Review & Inspirat

Chris Bates CBates at CICERO.SHU.AC.UK
Thu Oct 12 15:04:07 EDT 1995

>        I'd say that there's a small somewhat blurry line here.
Obviously
> any time mind-altering substances enter into the equation there will be
> break down in motor functions.  However, I would be willing to accept
that
> for some (if, perhaps, not all people) such substances can open avenues
of
> inspiration that they might not reach straight, even if we limited such
> examples to something like a pint of beer providing sufficient
relaxation
> that the musician was a bit less restrained than they might have been
> straight, thereby giving (subjectively speaking) a better performance.

I largely agree. I'm not saying that using drugs can't have a beneficial
effect upon some people. A fine example of this was Jerry Garcia who
went from being an allegedly quite good bluegrass player to the
gigantic force he was in the Grateful Dead very quickly and at the
same time that he began to take large quantities of mescaline and LSD.
Clearly some sort of switch was turned on inside him and his
improvisational skills came out. This does not happen to MOST people
- stoned/drunk people are bores in conversation and bores
when improvising musically.

>        This is not to say, that mind-altering substances or acts _will_
> "improve" creative output, just that for some people this may be
possible.
> After all, the use of drugs, fasting, etc. has a long history in many
> cultures for the reaching of altered states, often for the purposes of
> enhancing some creative purpose.

Yep, true. I'd argue that culturally-based shamanistic drug use is
either to remove inhibition or to create a communal experience.
Fasting/peyote etc give visions which can then be *interpreted*
as metaphors for life in general. Is it possible that shamans are
simply those members members of a community who are more
receptive/affected more positively by the drugs they use in ritual?

>        On the other hand, I think they hang now close to the balance
> point between control and "creative chaos".  Judging by their work
since
> Huw left they are _capable_ of turning out some truly stunning things,
> but to repeat the mantra, I think the need more human element in the
mix,
> so to speak, to create the kind of gestalt needed for more consistently
> fabulous stuff.

I think MORE musicians on stage would help. Have everything played
live with no sequencers etc. After all the computerised techno stuff
seems (to me anyway) to be a sad parody of what the 'Wind, Can etc
were doing 20 years ago anyway! Why use a computer to sound like
an anoraked nerd trying to sound like YOU used to? (Does that make
ANY sense?)

>        Not that I'm slamming meandering ambience--but there are many
> good purveyors of meandering ambience, an it seems a shame to waste an
> often unique space-rock band like HW on what other's also do so well.

Ambience is all very well in its place but I wanna rock (oops, sad man
has listened to one Twisted Sister album too many :-)

Chris