HW: Moi's review

Lisa Quinn cp682 at CLEVELAND.FREENET.EDU
Thu Oct 12 10:47:51 EDT 1995

> Well, you might be disappointed listening to Nik's sax.  *IMO*, he
> does NOT know how to play the sax (but then, neither do I!)  If I
> remember correctly, the BOC-L consensus was that Nik's saxophone
> sounded like an "asthmatic waterfowl".   :-)

In defense of Nik, he is an incredibly skilled sax player. I had the
opportunity to be in the theatre before the Cleveland show, and heard
Nik warming up. I was absolutly amazed. He was warming up by playing
incredibly complex jazz standards (recognized the melodies, but don't
know the names.) Like stuff by Charlie "Bird" Parker. The man knows
exactly what he is doing. In speaking to him with some fans, I
found out that these Nikwind shows are pure fun and pleasure for him.
He told us that back in the UK he has a world music band that he
plays with most of the time, and also plays alot at the jazz clubs.
I would give my eye teeth to see this master musician play in
either of those styles with his "regular" band. He doesn't tour the
US with this band, because he feels the fans really wouldn't accept
him playing straight ahead jazz and world music, worlds away from
his Nikwind stuff. Amazing Man! Produces Astounding Sounds!

Lisa

Lisa Quinn at cp682 at cleveland.freenet.edu