HW: Nik Turners Allstars

Watt, Colin M. C.M.Watt at SHU.AC.UK
Fri Oct 13 08:53:00 EDT 1995

Lisa said:

>In defense of Nik, he is an incredibly skilled sax player. I had the

I'm happy to defend Nik too... I have seen him a couple or five times over
the past few years doing various types of gig under the "Nik Turner's
Fantastic Allstars" banner... sometimes he plays straight jazz, and
sometimes more up beat (often accompanied by jugglers etc)... last time I
saw him was at Glastonbury - he played a couple of sets during the weekend
and on the last night played an upbeat jazz / ska set for two hours solid,
at about 2 in the morning, in a smallish tent with a wind powered generator,
appropriately enough (this was a night to remember)... the guy looks ancient
but IS incredible... I questioned him why he and his band hadn't released
any of this material - "basically, we never get round to it" was the
response (pity).

He is reluctant to tour the UK much these days, as he seems to think nobody
will turn up...

cheers, Col

Colin Watt
Systems Development Mgr   Tel:  (0114) 2532809
Sheffield Business School      Fax: (0114) 2532870
Sheffield Hallam University   EMail: C.M.Watt at shu.ac.uk