I want to see you in black

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Fri Oct 13 15:28:06 EDT 1995

Date sent:      Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:34:28 -0400
Send reply to:  BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
From:           John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>
Subject:        Re: I want to see you in black
To:             Multiple recipients of list BOC-L <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>

That trick of promising new albums is nothing new for Eric--he's done
it throughout the band's career.  Promising an album that turns up a
year later.  I read about a supposed new BOC album in 'Guitar Shop'
magazine at least a year ago.

I don't know if it's a trick - I think its more bad judgement on Bloom's
part.  The new album was promised to be out in late '94/early '95 when
I saw them during the summer of '94.  Now, had they had a recording deal
at that time, then no doubt the album might've been ready at that point.

This was also a problem in the late 80's and early 90's as the legal
wranglings for the Bad Channels soundtrack and "Cult Classic" were
worked out.  I think the band had originally hoped to have a studio
album out rather than CC, but things didn't work out -- perhaps stupid
to announce an album before the contracts are signed, but I don't think
it was deliberate intentional deception.  At least now Bloom seems to
recognize this as he announces the new album to be out "in the future".

Also, I don't think this was done "throughout the band's career" - but
certainly in the last 6 or 7 years.

John

I hate to argue with an expert, but Eric promised Secret treaties
about 8 months before it came out, and ditto for 'Agents.'  I wasn't
maligning him, as he's pretty much my all-time favorite frontman, I
was just making an observation about his stage personna.
theo