HW: Lancaster Gig

K_Barton at ENG.HUD.AC.UK K_Barton at ENG.HUD.AC.UK
Mon Oct 16 09:43:34 EDT 1995

Wow, What a great show, I'm still in a state of Euphoria :-)

>From what I can remember the set list went something like this :

Death Trap
Wastelands
Are You Losing Your Mind
The Golden Void
Alien (I Am)
Blue Skin
Sputnik Stan
?
Robot
?
?
Space Sex
Avante
Lord Of Light
Silver Machine
Welcome To The Future
-------------------------
Hassan I Sabba / Space Is Their Palestine

What a great line up, Ron really does add that extra something. He came on stage with a painted torso and wearing a helmet staggering around and clutching the back of his neck in pain. (In the back of my neck I feel a stange sensation - Death Trap)
Alien I am sounded much more powerful when played live, but the high point for me was the resurrection of Lord Of Light - what a belter, it's hard to imagine that song is over twenty years old.
Space Sex was really good too (the song that is!) with the chorus going something like:

Love in space, I dream of you
Love in space, I bleed for you
Love in space, I cry for you
Love in space, I'd die for you

With the two dancers getting to know each other better on the stage this proved to be a very smoochy number indeed :)

The show finished in a very hot and sweaty manner with Hassan I Sabbah. Ron produced a huge sabre from the depths of his armpit hair and started wielding it above the heads of the madly flailing crowd. It's a miracle that nobody got decapitated (although several had already lost their heads!).

Trevor was there with his Hawkfrendz stall and Brian finally solved the mystery of U.S.S.M.R. which appeared on the Alien Tour flyer. It was the release date of........wait for it.............Utah Saints Silver Machine Remix.

Two T-shirts were available: an Alien Tour shirt with an arrowhead shaped motif on the front depicting aliens and a pregnant squaw  (could this be the new album artwork?), and a T-shirt of Hawkwind's Galactic Tour from way back in 2079, the back featuring such historic gigs as : Mars - Uncle Sam's Bar, Spiral Galaxy 28948, and many others still to come.

I only wish I was going to Manchester tonight............

Later,

Keith