HW: Review - Levitation

Paul G Ward sonique at AARDVARK.APANA.ORG.AU
Mon Oct 16 05:09:07 EDT 1995

                 Record Review: Hawkwind 'Levitation'
                 ------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I've done this a few times now, but I still have *NO*
            literary talent whatsoever! In fact it's getting harder as
            I go :-(
            My humble opinion is mine, and no-one elses! I do know
            what I like though, and that means HAWKWIND!

            Any reference to record labels & catalog numbers reflects
            what my copy is, and is not necessarily the only (or
            original) release.

Artist/s:       Hawkwind
Title:          Levitation
Label/Cat#:     Bronze L 37498
1st Release:    1980
Lineup:         Dave Brock, Huw Lloyd-Langton, Harvey Bainbridge, Tim
                Blake, Ginger Baker.

                         'A Headphone Album'

So its says on the rear cover, and this is absolutely correct. This
album makes a great companion to the previous release, 'Live 79', due
mainly to the briliant synthesizer work of Blake. The sound quality is
on this recording is also quite incredible.

The rocky guitar which opens "Levitation", the title track, is simply
mind blowing. The bass breaks throughout the track are accompanied by
electronic warbles, wild lead guitar work, and raw Hawkwind energy.
The 'full' sound of the opening track ends, and the gentler "Motorway
City" begins. Rythym guitar and keyboards dominate this track, along
with more brilliant drum work and synth.

The very short "Psychosis" begins with the sound of a gigantic
spacecraft passing overhead, joined by a warbling synth effect panning
from side to side, fading out to more electronic effects as it
pulsates into the drum dominated instrumental "World of Tiers". The
drum work gives way to dreamy synth/guitar/keyboard sequences, only to
come back with a vengeance once more. The accompanying guitar and
keyboard work really add to this track.

Side two begins with "Prelude" a short 'wind-swept' synth-based
instrumental which could be considered as an extended introduction to
"Who's Gonna Win the War". This piece, with it's methodic bass-line
and powerful lyrics focuses on the devastation of the world during a
nuclear holocaust with great effect. The feelings of despair give way
rapidly when "Space Chase" begins. Beginning with random beeps and
pops, the heavy guitar, drums and keyboards soon break in. The imagery
in this track is quite remarkable - you really can picture yourself in
the middle of a battle deep in space as the chase begins!

Apparently '(from the film)', whatever that means, "The 5th Second of
Forever" changes a number of times from slow, gentle, guitar
accompanied by trickles of water in the background (sounding
distinctly
like it was lifted from the middle ages), to fast and rocky space
rock, with the assistance of a space or air craft passing overhead.
The final track, "Dust of Time" is sequed into nicely. This relatively
rocky piece closes the album in just the right way. It 'feels' like
the end of the story (if there was one), and I especially like the way
the electric piano is gradually joined by bass, drums and guitar as it
builds to the final verse.

Without sounding too biased, _Levitation_ has to be in my top ten of
all records (not just Hawkwind records). I have been surprised
numerous times by people (who you never would have pictured as
Hawkwind fans) saying "I've heard of Hawkwind - didn't they do that
Levitation album? I love that, can you tape it for me?"

Enuf said!

Assassin Sonique'
--
Paul Ward        aka: Assassin Sonique'          .---.  __  .--------   Long
R & D Manager, P & C Micro's Pty Ltd            /     \( o`-,  -----   may

Thought for the day:
    Communist (n): one who has given up all hope
    of becoming a Capitalist.