HW: Review - Sonic Attack

Paul G Ward sonique at AARDVARK.APANA.ORG.AU
Mon Oct 16 07:06:09 EDT 1995

                Record Review: Hawkwind 'Sonic Attack'
                --------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I've done this a few times now, but I still have *NO*
            literary talent whatsoever! In fact it's getting harder
                  as I go :-(
            My humble opinion is mine, and no-one elses! I do know
            what I like though, and that means HAWKWIND!

            Any reference to record labels & catalog numbers reflects
            what my copy is, and is not necessarily the only (or
            original) release.

Artist/s:       Hawkwind
Title:          Sonic Attack
Label/Cat#:     RCA RCALP6004
1st Release:    1981
Lineup:         Dave Brock, Huw Lloyd-Langton, Mike Moorcock, Martin
                Griffin, Harvey Bainbridge

Yet another change in style for Hawkwind, this is an album with
attitude! For some reason, some fans don't rate it highly, but I for
one cannot imagine why. It opens with a re-working of "Sonic Attack",
while possibly lacking a little of the fervor of the original live
version, this highly electronic effect oriented version arguably has
a much more modern feel. It would have been interesting to hear it
performed live for comparison. The up-beat "Rocky Paths" follows
(noticeably with Langton behind the microphone), has great rythym and
some brilliant guitar work. The seque into "Psychosonia" makes it
difficult to distinguish where one track ends and the next begins.
The punchy bass gives way to strange chatterings, soon overpowered a
scream for silence as the music begins anew. Play this one up loud!

"Virgin of the World" is more experimental in nature, with it's
flittering keyboards and background noises, and a single ghostly
vocal lyric. As it fades into the distance, and "Angels of Death"
begins, turn the volume control up again. This track is absolutely
fantastic. You can feel how helplessly evil the subjects of the track
are, the dominant drum and bass pushing the feeling down the back of
your neck, while the backing guitar riffs and synth effects all
adding to the power.

Side two begins a little more gently, with light rock "Living on a
Knife Edge". I really like this track, but it may be a bit plain for
many hard-core fans. Brock may be trying to send us the message about
how we owe our descendants to look after our planet a little too hard
in the opening verses, but you just gotta love the way the pace slows
down then picks up again (in typical Hawkwind style) for the final
chorus. The attitude comes back with a vengeance in Moorcock's "Coded
Languages". His forceful vocals over the top of almost psychedelic
keyboards, and multiply sampled voices which get blasted away as the
drums and guitar begin is bloody awesome! If you really don't care
what the neighbours think of you, play this one REALLY LOUD!
(Especially the shattering glass at the end!)

"Disintegration" is another slightly experimental piece, with pleading
vocals over the top of some panning (intentionally) distorted synth,
but the first drum-beats of "Streets of Fear" soon comes in over the
top. Another full-bodied guitar/drum/keyboard track, and lyrics with
an attitude, the (possibly generated rather than natural) dual hand
claps at the end of each line of vocals adds an interesting effect.
True to form, the pace drops halfway through for some quieter keyboard
work, only to pick up again as the guitar and drums come once again
to the fore. The album concludes with "Lost Chances", another slightly
slower track with (slightly) jerky vocals which fits in nicely with
the general theme of the album. I'm not sure wether it isintentional
or not, but once again, Hawkwind conclude with a track that sounds
like a 'conclusion'.

Really, this is album should be in your collection. It is a drastic
change in many ways from the previous album 'Levitation', but by now
no Hawkfan should be surprised at that!

Assassin Sonique'

--
Paul Ward        aka: Assassin Sonique'          .---.  __  .--------   Long
R & D Manager, P & C Micro's Pty Ltd            /     \( o`-,  -----   may

Thought for the day:
    The only thing that hurts more than paying income tax
    is not having to pay income tax.