I want to see you in black

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Mon Oct 16 12:17:00 EDT 1995

 - perhaps stupid to announce an album before the contracts are signed, but I
don't think
it was deliberate intentional deception.  At least now Bloom seems to
recognize this as he announces the new album to be out "in the future".

Well stupid is probably a bit strong here John.  Actually it makes sense for
them to do that since the two biggest complaints most fans have with the
band is 1) lack of new material we can own and 2) no current way to get our
hands on the rare stuff.  The crowds will conitue to dwindle unless the band
release some new material.  IMO I think there might be some fear amongst the
band memebers in doing this as well as the notorius catch 22.

The Fear -

Though they have played some of the newer material from time to time during
there club circuits and the fans have enjoyed them, there are precious few
of these numbers.  One would have to assume that the to make an 8 -12 song
cd they may need a couple of more or some decent covers that fit.  Now if
you convince someone to record, distrtibute and market these items for you
you also have to watch the expenses associated with this.  Recently found a
book in the public library about the recording industry and making an album,
distributing and marketing are some of the expenses taken by the record
company beforethe band receives any royalties.  Much like a boxer where a
promoter gets to deduct certain expenses from the fighters purse.  BOC
probably could not afford to take a huge hit in this area.  Also I'll toss
you another example of a band who waited a couple of years between
recordings, played the music in clubs and later released an album.  Y&T had
written over 100 songs between the last two studio albums Contagious and
Ten.  The 100 songs for Ten were played at a series of night clubs over a
year and the band narrowed down the final release based on audience
reaction.  Once released the album was bombed by critics and didn't do very
well commercially (BTW I like the album a lot, not as good as the early
stuff but not as bad as the  critics make it out to be.)  Bottom Line Y&T
called it quits shortly thereafter.  BOC at least to our general knowledge
do not have as many songs waiting to be put on a cd.  If such a thing were
to bomb they take a financial hit and are probably completly removed from
the music scene.

The Catch 22 -

Recording an album takes a lot of effort by a lot of people to do it right.
 Who is going to produce this album, who is going to engineer it;  and how
does the band which is currently making its living criss crossing the
country take enough time from the schedule to sit in a recording studio to
make the album?  If you are Sony and you are willing to give the band that
chance then you leverage your position by taking greater control over the
product being released.  Perhaps you insist the band is produced by the guy
who created Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots unique sound (IMO probably the
reason people believe STP sound so much like a second rate Pearl Jam,  it is
not the groups it is the production itself, See also King's X Dogman cd).
 The point being BOC can stop making money and live in the studio for a few
months and make this new cd or they can continue with what they are doing
now.   The safer road is to continue along this path as they are at least
earning a living.  The trip across the great lakes is just part of this
deal, go to Europe for a few months before coming back stateside and playing
the same circuit again.  This can probably keep them above water financialy
for another two years.

Bottom line I think are only chance of hearing anything new on cd from BOC
is if it appears on the Mysterious # pak that Sony claims will be released
on Oct 24.  I don't see any major studio putting the money into a completely
new BOC release.

A($.02)B