BOC/Various Thoughts

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Mon Oct 16 12:42:29 EDT 1995

Robert Kohl writes:

> Another problem I have with ANY band, even my beloved BOC, is doing covers of
> other songs.  I know, I know, "Born to be Wild" and "We Gotta Get Out of This
> Place" are BOC staples at concerts.  That's a real shame as far as I'm
> concerned.  When I see a band or buy a CD, I don't want other groups' songs
> on there.  If I wanted that, I'd buy the other CD in the first place.  I want
> originality!

Well, if the cover is done properly, it WILL be original!  (Check out
Laibach's cover of Queen's "One Vision" on _Opus Dei_, their Beatles
covers on _Let It Be_, etc. for details.)  Some covers are actually
identified more with the person covering than with the original
artist.  For example, most folks nowadays would identify "Hey Joe" as
being a Jimi Hendrix original instead of a cover of a Billy Roberts(?)
tune.  Jimi's cover of Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" is similarly
distinctive.

Actually, I'd rather hear a band do a great cover than blatantly rip
off someone else's style.  Plagiarism has many forms...

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.