HW: Review - Yuri Gagarin !!???!?!?!

Kevin Haskel Rubin gnome at TELEPORT.COM
Mon Oct 16 14:40:10 EDT 1995

>    Record Review: Hawkwind 1973 'Bring me the Head of Yuri Gagarin'
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
> It contains (live from 1973)

Mine says it's live from 1976 on it, but of course, lists an earlier line
up.

> The track list itself includes some impressive tracks, most of which
> sound like they were performed with typical Hawkwind gusto. It just
> doesn't come through on the album due to the poor recording. My first
> impression when I bought this album (which incidentally has not been
> back on my turntable in the last 10 years until today) was that it was
> recorded on a portable cassette recorder from the middle of the crowd.
> The only thing which could be considered in any way clear, is a fan
> screaming 'Silver Machine' when Brock asks the audience what they want
> as an encore.

With an okay equalizer you can actually hear it acceptably.  Granted it
still doesn't sound great, but the music is good.  I find it worth the
effort to adjust (adjust me adjust me adjust me) the settings to hear it.

Mine has a picture of a couple of warriors on the cover with a grey tree,
and has an abstract thing with some shapes inside, and cost me $9 at Tower.
Blockbuster Music has one with my inside picture on teh outside for $16.
Anyone know if there's a quality difference between the two or do they
pretty much sound alike?

-kevin

--
Kevin Rubin aka 3999RK60 RU5M7I              Co-Op Network Operations Manager
gnome at teleport.com         Oregon Coast Rural Information Service Cooperative