BOC/Covers debate

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Tue Oct 17 11:51:00 EDT 1995

> Someone tried to
> tell me once that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."  I don't
buy
> it.  My point is that BOC is better than that.  I wouldn't be on this list
if
> they weren't.

>        Oh, well, imitation _is_ the sincerest form of flattery, but if
>you are brilliantly original, then you don't need to flatter (unless you
>want to).  Even if I was a brilliantly original and famous musician, I
>might well occasionally do a "piece in the style of" simply because it
>was fun, though.

>        But it would be much too dangerous to haul up the old thread:
>"Are BOC imitating themselves, thesedays?" .... ;)

>Carl

I would think that bands do covers for the fun of it.  Most of the pro's
will tell you that they grew up enjoying some artist's music, whats wrong
with occassionaly playing something by someone you enjoyed and putting your
own spin on it.  Besides didn't the Oyster Boys in their college days do a
lot of covers by Mowtown type bands.  I would get a kick out of seeing Eric,
Alan and Buck shuffling to the Temptations  Papa Was A Rolling Stone.  Hope
Buck's got some rythm in dem shoes.

A(don't take me seriously)B