BOC/Covers debate - Name some changes

Andrew Gilham emphyrio at CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK
Tue Oct 17 22:46:00 EDT 1995

Adrian says:

> [...] whats the point of playing five or six new songs that
> you can
> only hear if you see them live.

Well, you could argue that that's a very *good* reason for playing some
new material!

      It doesn't do a thing for new or casual
> fans; even if they like the songs they can't get their hands on them
> unless
> they get a boot.

Some of the best gigs I've ever been to have been to bands I've never
even heard before, and where (I've found out later) the material is not
on any of the albums (I'm thinking of Giant Sand and Mano Negra - two
excellent bands, BTW).  I dunno, I think of a gig as an event to be
enjoyed for its own merits - not an ad for an album, not a taping
opportunity, but a performance to be enjoyed.  And if I've enjoyed it, it
*doesn't matter* if I can't "take it home with me" - that's what memory
is for.

[set list ideas]
> 1) including a brief medely of five or six of the classic numbers from
> the
> first three or perhaps Specters, AOF and CE

Yuk (speaking personally) - I *hate* medleys!  (IMO, Hawkwind veer
uncomfortably close to the edge in that respect sometimes...)

2) they could also
> experiment
> with different (i.e., accoustic) versions of some of the classics; Buck
> doing a solo version of Reaper, Alan and Eric with keys only doing Joan
> Crawford, an extended instrumental version of Astronomy or Magna from
> Imaginos

Well, doing stuff "unplugged" isn't exactly cutting edge, but could
work... hopefully, I'll be able to form an opinion on Dec 13th... as for
_Imaginos_ material, the words that spring to mind are "dream" and "on" :(

3) how about some covers other than BTBW or somethings blues
> based.
>  Maybe some hard edge Sabbath (Meglomainia, yeah) or Deep Purple (Smoke
> on
> the Water).

Ooh yeah!  But "War Pigs", please! :)

- Andy

ObCD: George Thorogood - _Let's Work Together_