BOC Club Ninja a Review

Wed Oct 18 07:55:52 EDT 1995

Theo says:

Curious that you sort of panned CN, wondering if it's really a Buck
solo album, but you love (as do I) 'Imaginos' which is pretty much an
Albert solo album, de facto. Am I imagining (ouch) this, or does
Albert supply almost all the vocals on 'Imaginos.'  The production is
great, but there's been some creative eq-ing of the vocals.  Does
Eric sing ANY lead vocals on this album?  How about Buck?  Also, in
your review of CN you don't touch upon the presence of outside
influences and the fact that BOC on this album is essentially a trio
with added sidemen.  This theme reoccurs on 'Imaginos' which seems to
be, judging from the credits, a studio record made by studio
musicians, with the BOC mainly singing (excuse me, Albert mainly
singing) and outside musicians supplying much of the sound.  Don't
get me wrong, 'Imaginos' is a masterpiece, I'm just not sure who's
playing what.  It's almost like a great concept album with the BOC
conducting a select orchestra of rockers from the sidelines.  My
actual knowledge of 'Imaginos' is sketchy, and these opinions are
purely speculative.  Can you fill me in on 'Imaginos' and perhaps
provide a similar capsule review?
theo

Theo:

You should really read what's in the FAQ on this subject, but to answer
a few of your questions, most of the lead vocals on Imaginos are Eric's
and Buck's (although there are a few, like the verses of "Blue Oyster
Cult", that have Albert) - Albert did most of the lead vocals for Imaginos
originally, but when the album was re-done, Eric and Buck re-did alot
of the vocals (presumably because Columbia wanted them re-done).

And yes, Imaginos is a masterpiece, and to some extent, no-one is sure
who's playing what.  Albert and several musician friends of his did the
original work, and later many parts were re-done by what was BOC along
with pehaps other musicians as well.

John