BOC: 3-pack out?

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Wed Oct 18 21:46:10 EDT 1995

John A Swartz wrote:

> Now, this makes no sense to me.  WOTT, a double CD was released less than
> a month ago, prices in around $20-25.  Now they're gonna turn around and
> sell a *3* CD pack for less?

Yes, because WOTT had to be produced in terms of sequencing and assembling
the material onto CD, cobbling together artwork, liner notes, etc.  With
the 3-pack, all they have to do is stuff three extant albums into a
cardboard sleeve that has a cheesy composite of the album covers on it.
No real expense involved...

> And I do not believe that there are very many folks who have not got the
> catalog on CD that are suddenly going to scarf up this 3-pack.  Again,
> the 3 CDs have been on the shelves for years, and usually at a decent
> price.  Someone who wouldn't fork over $20-30 for them individually is
> suddenly going to pick up the package for $18?  No, I doubt that.

I don't see what all the mystery is about.  Sony/Columbia have been doing
these 3-packs for at least two years that I know of.  They just bundle
together three "notable" albums by someone on their roster, and flog them
for the cost of two.  At least this is what they've been doing in the UK.

As for doubting whether anyone would fork out for such a beast, well, I,
for one, would.  In fact, I did.  I bought the Stevie Ray Vaughn 3-pack
about 2 years ago.  And it was actually the cost that provided the
incentive.  I'd probably pick up the Santana 3-pack, too, if ever I
stumbled across it again.

I don't know if I'd go for the BOC 3-pack.  I'm *sorely* tempted, as I
don't have any of the three on CD, so it would be a great bargain for me.
However, I'd prefer to wait until (if ever) the albums are properly
remastered, before getting them on CD.  It's a tough decision.  But the
price is a great incentive...

> I can understand a market for WOTT - but just bundling the 3 CDs together
> seems like a very dumb idea.

Dumb idea or not, it's one they've been doing for quite some time.  I
guess it's just another way to try and shift back catalogue, no more, no
less.  It's not as if it takes much effort on their part to do these...

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: The Bevis Frond, _New River Head_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.