BOC: Tour-Spiel

Matt Thompson thompsom at OSOFT_NT.BUCKHEAD.COM
Thu Oct 19 09:28:00 EDT 1995

>Does anyone know if this song ever made a Minutemen studio album?

The studio version of "Tour Spiel" is on the Minutemen ep "Project
Mersh".  I strongly recommend this for anyone with a remote interest in
the band.  The cd you picked up, Ballot Result, was thrown together after
guitarist D. Boon died.  The band was going to have released a 3 record
set with 3 sides of new material and 3 sides of live versions of songs as
voted by the fans in a ballot put in the album "Three Way Tie for Last".
 Since Boon died, they didn't have the new material and they didn't have
quality live versions of all the songs for which the fans voted.  "Ballot
Result" was their best effort at compiling live versions of the selected
songs but the quality is really spotty.  I would recommend this only to
those who are already Minutemen fans.  A much better place to start is
"Tour Spiel", "Three Way Tie for Last" (with a version of the Red and the
Black featuring a triple bass solo), or "Double Nickles on the Dime"
(Minutemen at their punkiest best).