BOC: Solo efforts

HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM
Sat Oct 21 02:47:43 EDT 1995

Craig,

     Oh, about the team mascots, have you heard yet that native
Americans Indians plan to protest the games, starting
tomorrow?? Yeah, they're real pissed about both team's mascots
and the way they present this image. Me, I dunno. I always
think most teams' names, mascots, emblems, gimmicks, etc, are
real stupid and they never know what they're dealing with and
there are these real lame stereotypes, and presenting the
mascot with a hatchet and stuff...but then again, this
protesting stuff kinda irks me, too! I really wanna enjoy just
the GAME, and fuck all this other stupid shit! And why didn't
these protestors show up at games during the regulat season??
And what good will it do other than probably humiliating these
protestors? I'm not particularly "proud" to be an American, and
I've always hated the fact that the colonizers drove the
Indians out, slaughtered them (who's the savage? Modern
man)...but...uh...well, let's not make things worse here. It
seems like there's always a big fucking todo these days about
everything, everywhere! I'm sick of it. It's an old tradition,
these team mascots/uniforms, etc, most people don't still think
of Indians as whatever these images try to protray, blah, blah,
blah... Isn't there still stuff like Redman chewing tobacco and
all that? But I don't know. It's really hard for me to speak
from my own perspective. I don't know what it's like to be an
Indian.
    Oh, I see. You revel more in the loss of a rival than a win
of the team of who you root for. That's quite interesting! I've
never been that way. I often sorta get to like other teams to
some degree. Okay, sometimes there are teams who seem to be
made predominantly of assholes, but usually I just get to feel
close to other teams that I see play a lot. And then there's
lost of teams around with old players from teams such as the
Braves, or the Dodgers, or just players I remember from way
back, that helps me to relate to them a little more... Well,
whatever, as long as you enjoy it.
     I saw that the Suns were beat by the Nets today. Wow, the
Nets are 4-0! I don't remember them being a team to reckon with
in a while, maybe they're on to something. I just witnessed the
Lakers beat the Wolves, that was a good game. Your buddy
Ceballos scored 32 points and is the NBA's leading scorer in
the pre-season! Cool... I'll bet the Suns could use a guy like
him! (G) A little retaliation there...

Chuck