We all have our own versions...Brixton 21/10

Maxine Wesley mxw at DMU.AC.UK
Mon Oct 23 08:12:02 EDT 1995

We all have our own versions of Brixton - but they're amazingly similar..

On Sun, 22 Oct 1995, Andrew Gilham wrote:

> First up was Capt Rizz, who seemed quite fun, but to be honest I didn't
> pay much attention..

we only arrived in time to see 1 and a half  tracks of this band. They
seemed to tbe the only reggae band of the evening that didn't seem
wholly intent on playing techno-ambient reggae durge and the pleasing
thing about them was that the reggae they played at least seemed to have a rock
bass-line/ heavier undertone, if i have to listen to Reg I prefer it to
of this nature, just wish I'd had a bit more time to hear them properly.

>then Porcupine Tree proceeded to make swirly Floydian sounds to
>pleasing effect.

Most pleasing - great Dave Gilmore lead guitar sound, spacey but formulated
if not a little tame.

> Then we got RDF

aka  Real Dross Factor - As far as the reggae aspect of this show goes:

1)  there was toooooo much of it
2)  infuriatingly amateurish to boot. Surely HW can find more inspiring
    bands to be associated with

Unfortunatly I seemed to have blanked out the Utah Saints - recall has
failed me..

And then there was Hawkwind..

> I think one of the things counting against them - a bit of an own-goal,
> this - is that the main band (Brock/Davey/Chadwick) were set up well back
> on the stage.

I have been trying to figure out *why* they have chosen this
'backstage' format..one theory is that by concealing  the slippers/pipes
they may have been attempting to attract a younger following-  after all
not all of the audience were die-hard HW fans who would love them even if
they played from hospital beds with drip-feeds?

Music-wise they played a fair set - I agree there was too much linkage
music which consisted of seemingly endless experimental chord changes but
when they broke into 'proper' tracks (old and new) they seemd pretty well
together and  demonstrated that they could still BLANGA live, and I
wouldn't hesitate going to see them again.

Despite what seems to be a page load of complaints I genuinly enjoyed the
evening and was lucky enough to get a decent slice of Pizza too!

Thanks also to Andy G.  5***** sofa!  (Although I wouldn't neccesarily
dash out and buy a Dwight Yaokham CD on his recommendation.)

Maxine

ObEmbarrasement of the evening: Spotting Carl Anderson chatting up this
small girl with long blonde hair , I mishear someone say "Carls talking
to Al and Davey"  which in reality turns out to be Alan Davey, the blonde! -
good stuff this 99p bitter.

(ApOlogies to Alan & Carl :} )