HW: Alan's Bass Setup

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Oct 23 09:08:21 EDT 1995

> >         A few notes for musicians and music-gear-heads out there.  Alan's
> > main bass is a Ricky 4003, with a 4000 (!) as a backup.
>
> Being the ignorant MGH that I am makes me wonder what is the difference
> between these models?

        I'm not familiar with the 4000's really myself, but mostly it's
just an older model from the early 60's I believe.  The 4001 is probably
the most commonly found model, having put in an appearance in the mid-
60's (I think) and having been replaced with the 4003 around 1979-80
or thereabouts.  The 4003 differs from the 4001 only in having a much
stronger neck intended to take higher-tension roundwound strings (the
4001 was intended for flat-wound strings which were standard when it was
first released.  There is a 4004 with a less finicky to adjust bridge,
and I haven't the slightest clue about the 4002.

        To make this more relevant, Lemmy I think started in HW with
a borrowed 4000, then got a 4001 which he used into Motorhead until
he got a 4003 after they came out, and still uses this now.  Rickenbacker
is just finishing up a custom model Rick bass for Lemmy (which the will
be marketing for any kollectors out there with money to burn ;) which
I think is a development of the 4003.  Dunno if he's using it yet, but
I'll try to remember to look when Motorhead plays London on the 2nd.

> > He plays through some kind of ancient 50W (I think I heard this
> > right) Fender amp, which he says gives him some cool sustain.
>
> Playing a 50W at 11 may be nicer in small clubs than a 500W at 11.
> Reminds me of Robert Fripp commenting John Wetton's Vega amp in the
> early 70's King Crimson: "It was very easy to hear and very difficult
> not to hear."

        500W at 11 would probably destroy many small clubs, not to mention
the audience! ;)
        To continue in the above theme, Lemmy uses two 100W Marshall bass
amps running in series, I believe, and that makes a _hell_ of a noise.

> ObCD: Phish, A Live One.

        A good CD that, and in the states it was only 15 dollars new,
which is a damn good price for a double CD!

Cheers,
Carl