BOC: Tour-Spiel

Matt Thompson thompsom at OSOFT_NT.BUCKHEAD.COM
Mon Oct 23 10:14:00 EDT 1995

>>is that the one that says " I dreamt I was Eric Bloom and woke up as
Joe
>>Bouchard"?
>
>Yes it is.  I haven't heard the original, but I've heard the Brain
>Surgeons' version on the Minutemen tribute CD (someone posted the
>address to get it last week here).  There's some other noteworthy
>lyrics in there ("Richard Meltzer gave me a hard time", something about
>"the Spectres tour").
>
>QUESTION FOR MIKE WATT FANS:  Is Watt's solo CD ("Ballhog or >Tugboat")
similar to his work with The Minutemen and fIREHOSE?  From >what I've
heard of it (only Piss-bottle Man and Big Train), it doesn't appear
>to be.  But what I have heard sounds kinda cool and I'm considering
>picking up his CD.

The BOC references in the original verion of Tour Spiel are:
"I dreamed I was E. Bloom but I woke up Joe Bouchard in some town out on
the road.  With my patent leather boots on (just llike Richard told me),
another hack on the Specres tour"

The liner notes for Project Mersh say that the lyrics for the song have
been changed to something like "I dreamed I was E. Bloom but I woke up E.
Bloom" after seeing BOC in San Pedro presumably after Joe left the band.

Watt's solo album definitely doesn't do it for me the same as firehose or
the Minutemen.  There's some good stuff on it but it's too diverse and
inconsistent with all the different players.  He's still incredible live.