HW: a few more notes

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Oct 23 08:57:28 EDT 1995

Re: Alan Davey's bass amp:
> He plays through some kind of ancient 50W (I think I heard this
> right) Fender amp, which he says gives him some cool sustain.
>
> Cool - and to think I was thinking about trading my Fender 60Watter for
> a SWR 100Watter . . .

        Well, if you're on-stage in a club or in another situation with a
PA you can get pretty far with a small amp--it's the PA that's doing the
big work, after all.  Though if you plan on playing with a drummer and
have nothing more than your own amp, that extra wattage can come in handy.
        I reckon Alan must have cranked up that 50W pretty hard, thus
getting some sustain from overdriving the valves (which the average bass
amp is not intended to do as a matter of course, unlike guitar amps).

Carl