BOC @ JAXX/NIGHT OF THE HUGE GUITARIST

Mon Oct 23 12:59:50 EDT 1995

Adrian writes in his review:

>Astronomy followed Cities as Last Days and Veterans
were ommitted.  A real shame as I looked forward to hearing Eyes  belt out
Veterans.

All 3 were probably never intended to be played -- only ONE of those 3
is played at BOC shows these days (they all have a lengthy Buck solo).
About a year ago, they would do it by "audience vote" - Eric would ask
which of the 3 the audience wanted to hear and the one that got the biggest
cheers would be played.  Now, I think the band does whichever one that
they feel like doing.

>The boys hit the stage and cranked into Stairways which is still a good
opener but could probably use some rest for a while.

Actually, there's quite a few songs that could use a rest.  At least
they've made a few recent changes like adding "In Thee", and now "Lips
in the Hills".  I also think they should try and focus more on some of
the new stuff. At least you got to hear 2 of the new ones - lately it
seems that they only do one.

>ETI cranked as
usual.  To me this is a very undrated song with a killer groove to it

Agreed - but this is definitely a song that could use a little rest - it's
probably been in almost every BOC set since 1976.

>See You In Black.  I have only heard this song twice, but after friday
my fondest wish is for a realease of new BOC material as opposed to the rare
stuff.  This song belongs on a cd.

Don't know if I think this is the best of their new stuff, but I definitely
agree that it's time for some new BOC material on disc.  And it's time
that they added more of that new stuff to their shows.

>Cities on Flame was
the Bouchard vocals.

Hasn't worked for ya in a long time, huh?  ;-)  Maybe you'll get lucky
one day and hear The Brain Surgeons kick this one live - and in a multi-
cultural fashion at that!

>while John also threw in a drum solo during the song

Uh, I don't think John "threw in" a solo - a drum solo during 'Zilla has
been standard BOC fare since about 1977.

All in all, sounded like a really cool show.  Too bad that the Jaxx
management had their heads up their asses in terms cutting the headliner's
time due to mishaps with the opening act.  Sheesh.

John