BOC @ JAXX/NIGHT OF THE HUGE GUITARIST

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Mon Oct 23 16:08:00 EDT 1995

Adrian writes in his review:

>Astronomy followed Cities as Last Days and Veterans
were ommitted.  A real shame as I looked forward to hearing Eyes  belt out
Veterans.

>All 3 were probably never intended to be played -- only ONE of those 3
>is played at BOC shows these days (they all have a lengthy Buck solo).

Well then I would suggest they played the right one, Astronomy,  I love this
song live or studio. It also means that the only true ommission aside from
the encore songs was the choice between Before the Kiss and Teen Archer as
they were skipped altogether.  Anybody recall the last time they did Archer
live?  And while I love Lips, I am a bit miffed that ME262 had to bite the
bullet to make room for Lips.  For whatever reason this change was made
prior to the set.

>The boys hit the stage and cranked into Stairways which is still a good
opener but could probably use some rest for a while.

>Actually, there's quite a few songs that could use a rest.  At least
>they've made a few recent changes like adding "In Thee", and now "Lips
>in the Hills".  I also think they should try and focus more on some of
>the new stuff. At least you got to hear 2 of the new ones - lately it
>seems that they only do one.

Would agree there.  Take Me Away would do the trick in my mind.  I think its
a natural opener.

>ETI cranked as usual.  To me this is a very undrated song with a killer
groove to it

>Agreed - but this is definitely a song that could use a little rest - it's
>probably been in almost every BOC set since 1976.

Well, it has been around for a while but as the only other song I have ever
heard get some radio time I vote they keep this and drop at least two of the
other three Zilla and Burnin'.  Reaper they could move to accoustic which
would probably give it a bit more life.

>See You In Black.  I have only heard this song twice, but after friday
>my fondest wish is for a realease of new BOC material as opposed to the
rare
>stuff.  This song belongs on a cd.

>Don't know if I think this is the best of their new stuff, but I definitely
>agree that it's time for some new BOC material on disc.  And it's time
>that they added more of that new stuff to their shows.

If they have a few others as good as Black and Harvest Moon then by all
means add them to the set.  You never know who might be in the audience.
 Perhaps a small label looking for a name to add it some legitimacy.  Still
some of the newer songs would significantly liven the set; both Black and
Moon were well recieved by the audience.  In addition, I guess Black isn't
really a new song since I also heard it in 94.

>Cities on Flame was next in cue and sounded good but it just dosen't work
as well for me without the Bouchard vocals.

>Hasn't worked for ya in a long time, huh?  ;-)  Maybe you'll get lucky
>one day and hear The Brain Surgeons kick this one live - and in a multi-
>cultural fashion at that!

No doubt there is something about those Bouchard vocals.  This I think is a
candidate to be either dropped from the set or at least see if Danny or John
can sing it.  Of all the BOC songs this one just doesn't fit Eyes and I
could never imagine Buck trying to sing it.  When I made my BOC live
compilation you can bet I reached for my OYFOOYK cd to lay this one on tape.
 Speaking of the Surgeons any word from Jaxx about a date yet.?  Just
remember Al & Deb come out in the audience before the set so we can buy you
guys some beer.

>while John also threw in a drum solo during the song

>Uh, I don't think John "threw in" a solo - a drum solo during 'Zilla has
>been standard BOC fare since about 1977.

Threw in is probably not a very appropriate word.  A year ago I don't
remember much of a drum solo on Reaper, If Chuck played one it wasn't very
memorable.  Not to Flame Chuck or John Rodgers but the rythm section seemed
much livelier last night than in 94.  Hope Danny and John stick around for a
long time.

>All in all, sounded like a really cool show.  Too bad that the Jaxx
>management had their heads up their asses in terms cutting the headliner's
>time due to mishaps with the opening act.  Sheesh.

Yeah but what can you do.  Jaxx is a bit small as venues go and I'm sure Jay
was trying to maximize revenues as much as possible.  Ages of Fortune
dosen't have a big following yet, but Slow Acid Factor and Frankie and the
Actions brought quite a crowd with them.  Not to seem chauvinstic but that
big guy Frankie seemed to draw quite a few gorgeous women out of the crowd
when he hit the stage.  I have only seen one other band in this area with
more women swooning, Faux Savant.  Ooops back to the point.  Talking to Jay,
the manager, Jaxx is just a bit too small as far as venues go to really
charge cheap cover prices and reasonable beer prices to make good money.  A
 club like AL Gators with maybe 4-5 times the capacity of Jaxx can charge
you $8 to see BOC while Jaxx must make it $15.  Hell Kansas tickets at Jaxx
were $25.  A bud Ice will cost you $4.00 a bottle.  To top it all off they
are required to close the club at 2:00 am no exceptions.  It could have been
much worse, Arlington, which is closer to DC requires no live acts after 12
midnite.   So I have to be fair they did a good job and as one of only three
good clubs bringing national acts to the area I hope they can survive for
another few years.  Hopefully by next year if the boys return to this area
I'll make the trip to Gators in MD.

>John

AB