BOC @ JAXX/NIGHT OF THE HUGE GUITARIST

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Mon Oct 23 17:58:00 EDT 1995

>Did AB say 200-300 people?

>Why does BOC bother?  Is it really worth it to them?  Mabye one
>of you guys has some insight there.

>It's really amazing that they have the energy and conviction to
>do these little gigs.  It certainly can't be for the $$.

>RR

I don't know RR, Jaxx can't fit much more than that without the fire marshal
shutting them down, and that would include the resturant area where you
can't see the stage.    They are certainly making enough to keep doing this,
paying drummers and bass players and I imagine enough to put bread on the
table at home.  I personally don't think this speaks badly for them, if so
then what does it say about groups like Kansas, Dokken, Ace Frehely, the
Outlaws, Pat Travers or Leslie West and Mountain, all of which have played
this club in the last few months.  Maybe some of the name guys prefer this
to the alternatives.  The alternatives being touring with other former
headliners for example - Bad Company and Nugent, Beck & Santana, Steve
Miller and the Doobies, Pat Benetar, REO Speedwagon and Fleetwood Mac(?).
 The other is to get a big corporate sponsor or to open for one of the new
"great bands of the moment".  Face it there are  only so many venues and a
whole lot of bands out there.  At least this way the band has a bit more
control over where and when they play.  And with Record companies demanding
already completed albums (established bands) or for a band to sign its life
away (new talent) some bands don't really have that many alternatives.
 Personally I like the older groups playing these smaller places.  The $125
ticket to see the Eagles was way out of my price range, not to mention I
have no desire to one amongst 20,000.  No flame guy but I don't see what the
big deal is.

AB