BOC @ JAXX/NIGHT OF THE HUGE GUITARIST

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Mon Oct 23 18:20:00 EDT 1995

>Well then I would suggest they played the right one, Astronomy

>I think when the audience had its choice, Astronomy won out most of the
>time.  IMHO its the most "classic" of the 3, and probably deserves to
>be in most BOC sets.  But, variety is the spice of life . . .

How about a big BOC-L push for bringing back the Subhuman?  O.k. so its old
but just listen to this song on OYFOOYK, it is one marvelous number.

>Anybody recall the last time they did Archer
live?

>Don't know if this was the last time, but I believe it was on a setlist
>back in March of '95.

I think it would have been great to hear this one.  I think people have
registered a firm vote against medelys but I still think such a thing can
work with BOC. A little Baby Ice Dog, some Cagey Cretins, oh yeah.....

>I am a bit miffed that ME262 had to bite the
bullet to make room for Lips.

>Well, gotta remove something.  And I can guarantee ya that ME262 will go
>before Burnin' For You will.  Definitely a plus though to get Lips back
>in the set - not only does it mark a change of pace from the standard
>sets, but also brings back a blast from the past that's directly aimed
>at the more hardcore fans.  And, like several other BOC classics, this
>one (ME-262, that is) has been part of the set for around 20 years.

Yeah I know but ME262 is very nostalgic for me.  When I saw them for the
first time in '75 they blew the roof off with this one and I just can't get
it out of my mind.  But if could offer the band any advice about the set
list Burnin for You would be history.  Its not a bad song but they have much
better ones in the inventory and since they refuse to let Godzilla return to
monster Island one of them 3 gotta go.  As for Lips yeah that was really a
suprise.  Don't know what made them decide to do it but it was definitely
spur of the moment.  Eric had to reference the lyrics from the monitor in
front of him.  They must have been practicing it for later shows and just
decided friday was a good place to start.

>drop at least two of the
other three Zilla and Burnin'.

>NOT gonna happen - and it probably shouldn't either.  Would you expect
>Black Sabbath to drop Iron Man and Paranoid?  How 'bout Deep Purple
>dropping Smoke on the Water and Highway Star?  I like the idea of trying
>to do the songs in a new way (i.e. perhaps Reaper acoustic), but these
>tunes will be gone from the set only when BOC is gone from the stage.

Sure I would.  Just like Nugent dosen't always play Stranglehold anymore.
 Sometimes a classic song just needs a real break.  Godzilla really didn't
get a major reaction out of the crowd.  Probably way too many BOC veteran
fans who have had their fill of the song.  I understand why they play it
evertime I just don't like it.

>In addition, I guess Black isn't
really a new song since I also heard it in 94

>Well, Harvest Moon has been around since about 1990.  Still Burnin',
>Power Underneath Despair, and Cold Grey Light of Dawn have been around
>since at least 1992, maybe earlier.  Then, there's the Bad Channel's
>tunes as well, although Bolle told me that Eric said that they will no
>longer be in any BOC sets.

Maybey they can title the new album "BOC the Last Five Years or So".
 Seriously, they really should take one last shot at putting these on disc
even if they have to do it themselves.  I mean they know a lot of other
artist most of which have their own recording studios to make this thing.
 They only need someone to market and promote it.  Hell sell it themselves
at concerts, throw a few copies at radio stations and make record stores
want to get a cut of the profits.

>Of all the BOC songs this one just doesn't fit Eyes and I
could never imagine Buck trying to sing it (Cities on Flame)

>Well, when Buck, Ron Riddle, and Jon Rogers played in The Red and the
>Black, guess who sang "Cities on Flame"?  Yep, and it does sound a bit
>different with Buck's vocals.  Also, Joe Bouchard sang it in his band
>The Cult Brothers - so I've heard 4 of the 5 original members sing it.

Interesting.  Still even without hearing it I'll take the Cult Borthers
vVersion or the BRain Surgeons over Buck or Eyes.  This song demands a
Bouchard voice.  BTW which version do you prefer John, I vote for Al.

Smiling all the way home.

AB