"small clubs" debate

Thu Oct 26 09:30:20 EDT 1995

Dr. Bob says:

>One area I might disagree with RR is where he says that BOC is playing more
for the love of the music than to make big bucks.  I think they're just doing
what they're best at to make a living, just like the rest of us working
stiffs who go to work everyday.  This is a real shame, because I remember a
time when they did it for the love of the music, as RR says, and when they
fed off the energy of the crowd going nuts.  Now it seems to be just a job to
do.  A pity, really.

Well, it's o.k. for them IMHO if they're doing it for the money -- that
doesn't mean they don't enjoy doing it (it might, but doesn't have to
be).  As a fan that would like to continue seeing them, if they put on
a good show, I'm not really dissappointed that they're putting it on so
that they can make a living.  We all have to - and what are these guys
gonna do it they're not up on stage?  We know they won't be putting out
a lot of albums - will Bloom go back to being a salesman?  Will Buck
become some sort of computer programmer?  Maybe Allen can do ads for
cigarette companies?  :-)  But seriously, they may love what they do,
even though they need to do it for their own personal financial gain -
hey, there are lots of "starving artists" out there.

John