BOC @ JAXX/NIGHT OF THE HUGE GUITARIST

Thu Oct 26 13:35:53 EDT 1995

Theo writes:

John,
If Al isn't known as a top drummer, then it isn't his fault, but the
listener's.  Anyone who hears the first 3 albums, assuming they
aren't an idiot, would have to conclude that Albert is one of the
best to ever pound for a rock band.  His work on those records is
amazing.  He has a differnt beat for every song, and really drives
the band.  I've always considered him one of the best

I don't disagree -- and I'm sure that in the 70's Albert was probably
more familiar to general rock public and his talents were no doubt
appreciated.  My comment had more to do with the general rock public's
perception of him today.  I doubt most people who either grew up on
the 80's rock scene or are in tune with the sounds of the 90's know
of Albert's talents - heck, many of 'em don't know anything of BOC,
let alone any of its current or former members.

I myself can't call myself an expert on drumming - but my brother is a
drummer and I got to experience a little bit of the various technical
nuances of drums and rhythm - and as a wannbe bass-player, I know the
importance of the bass and drums being in synch so I try to pay attention
to drumming.  Anyways, Albert's drumming is great, although I don't know
how many people appreciate some of the subtleties involved -- it isn't
always "in your face" drumming - you know, the guys who's drum solos
consist of basically trying to beat the crap out of their drums.

John